Wednesday, December 1, 2010

BridalPlasty....REALLY!



On Sunday E! premiered their newest bridal reality show. It's called Bridalplasty. As a bride, I'm sure you've heard about it. When I first heard the name, it offended me INSTANTLY, and I let my opinion be known on my Facebook page. One of the comments I received came from a respected and talented colleague, who is working on the show. So, I gave it a chance.

Five minutes into it, I had to turn it off. As a wedding planner, I believe in LOVE. Cliche? Maybe..but I've seen LOVE in all of it's glory. Along the way, I've met the most amazing couples who have fallen in love with each other's hearts and souls. Real love means complete acceptance of who the other person is. Warts and all. Of course looks are important. Each woman should do her best to play up her best assets. And we can. Just visit any department store. There is clothing, make-up, and a slew of hair care products to help us do just that. Not happy with a specific aspect of your body? Join the gym, walk around your neighborhood. It just takes discipline. A virtue that will impress your mate even more.

Why am I so opposed to this show? Because I see the beauty in everyone I meet. All women are beautiful, even if they don't look like a supermodel. Your fiance loves you for who you are. When he proposed, he was bursting with love for you. That day, he saw you as the most beautiful woman in the world. He wants to marry YOU. Not another version of you. You don't need to alter your looks to make him, or yourself happy. YOU HAVE IT ALL....LOVE!

I'm not the only one who disagrees with the message this show sends. Psychologists and plastic surgeons are up in arms about Bridalplasty. "It's a horrible idea. It absolutely plays into this notion that if you achieve the 'perfect' appearance, everything will be better. The message it sends to girls and women, as if you're not beautiful enough on your wedding day you have to receive plastic surgery from head to toe," says Roberto Olivardia, clinical instructor in the department of psychology at Harvard Medical School.

As you plan for your big day, remember how beautiful and worthy you are of becoming a wife and a soul mate. Focus on a marriage...not just a day. I wish you a day filled with beauty and love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeannie,

    I agree with you 100% - I couldn't bear watching the show just based off the commercial for it. It sends the wrong message to society and especially young women.

    I think people should boycott the show!! Let's do it.

    ReplyDelete